Skip to main content

As an international student, can I work in Australia while I'm studying?

Published 03/09/2007 03.49 PM   |    Updated 08/02/2018 09.43 AM

You can work up to 40 hours a fortnight while your course is in session (excluding any work undertaken as a registered component of your course of study or training) and you can work unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks. You are not permitted to work until you have started your course.

If you are undertaking Higher Degree by Research, you have unlimited work rights after you start your Masters by Research or Doctorate course. However, while you are undertaking any preliminary courses, such as an English language course, you can only work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight.

Your family members can work up to 40 hours per fortnight, after you have started your course of study in Australia. If you are doing a postgraduate course, such as a Masters degree, your family members can work unlimited hours once you start your study.

Please refer to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) for further information on work conditions for student visa holders.

Was this answer helpful?
Please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.
Didn't quite answer your question? Click here to ask us your question

What's your next question?


Advanced Search

Screen Reader users press Enter to Limit by product.  Limit by product

Search Tips